Wednesday 10 December 2014

7 Books, 7 Christmas Presents Potentially Sorted

I'm enjoying Foyles' Christmas marketing campaign. I'm all for buying books for Christmas. Books are easy to wrap, don't have a consume by date, don't come with loads of plastic packaging and might change your life, if only for a while...   

Behind each book there's someone who has worked really hard to get those words in a coherent order. Even the ones with the celebs on the front cover. Think of all those poor ghost writers who had to wear a bed sheet  throughout the whole process... 

Books can swallow you up and take you places, a bit like the tube. I was on the tube today but I can't remember it because I was somewhere in 1910, no 1918, no 1947, oh wait 1910 again... if you've read Life After Life you'll know what I mean...    

I've made a Christmas shopping list of books for your friends and family. I've labelled them clearly so you know who to give what... 

1. For the first person to talk about the weather




What I say: 
"Their Twitter account  @soverybritish is hilarious
the book is bound to be too!" 

Ideal for: 
Anyone too polite to tell you they don't like their present!

Warning:
Foreigners may not get it. My husband didn't seem to find it as funny as I did. 



2. For the relative with the biggest book shelf 



What I say: 
"Full of quirky book facts and entertaining anecdotes about book shops from all over the British Isles and beyond..." 

Ideal for: 
People who wax lyrical about the smell of books.

Warning:
Not for people who prefer the smell of a kindle.




3. For the friend who likes a dollop of gory crime with a dash of time travel 


What I say: 
"Most original crime novel I've ever read... a real page turner

Ideal for: 
Someone who would rather be watching an action film than playing charades...

Warning:
Not for relatives of a sensitive disposition. Bit violent. I wouldn't give it to my Gramma.  




4. For the one wishing they had written one of the books you had bought...


What I say: 
"I love Nicola Morgan's no nonsense writing style, every writer aspiring to be published should read this!

Ideal for: 
Anyone who tells you they have an idea for a book.

Warning:
It only works if they write the book. They can't just talk about it.




5. For the relative who might have hoarding tendencies...


What I say: 
"A really moving, beautifully written book about a family falling apart, and coming again to see what went wrong..."  

Ideal for: 
Readers who prefer a slow burn than an explosion of helicopters... 

Warning:
It may cause tear spillage. I was joking in the title. It won't help you if you are a hoarder, because you won't be able to throw it away it's so good. 

6. For anyone getting stressed over Christmas

What I say: 
"I open this book whenever I'm feeling frustrated... I always land on the part I need to hear. It keeps me sane." 

Ideal for: 
Whoever thinks they're missing something.  

Warning:

You will never finish this book. Nor will you want to. 




And finally... 

7.  For the little ones who don't know how to read yet... 



What I say:
"I'm in love with all the That's not my... book, but this one's especially Christmassy!'

Ideal for: 
Poking with sticky hands and dribbling over

Warning:

After 300 reads through, the story may start to lose its charm.

Please add your book suggestions in the comments! We will not let the Christmas Shopping defeat us, will we? 





No comments: