Sunday 5 July 2015

Spain vs England - 2 Months After the Big Move

My Spanish office has better views...

It has been nearly two months since I left London for Mallorca. 

To celebrate I'm going to compile an in depth, expertly researched list of the differences I've found so far. 

Brace yourselves. You'll want to take notes.  




1. SUMMER

Spain has one. 

2. GOING OUT

England: 
5 pm:  "So, what's the plan tonight?"

Spain: 
11.30 pm: "So, what's the plan tonight?"


3. DRINK MEASUREMENTS


















4. VIRTUAL LAUGHTER

England: Hahahahahahaha
Spain: Jajajajajajajaja

5. SIESTA

England: a cheeky nap
Spain: an essential recharge activity so you can stay awake until suppertime

6. SHOPPING

England: shops open all day, all weekend
Spain: shops close between 1-5, Sundays closed* (*unless in a tourist area!)

7. DRIVING

England: left
Spain: right

(MY DAD: middle)

Enough of that list, any more simplistic and I'll be writing that they speak Spanish in Spain and English in England! They also speak Mallorquin here of course.  

Top Tip:

Don't tell someone from Mallorca that Mallorquin and Catalan are basically the same.

They might get the hump, and rightly so. It's much more different than I previously thought and I have trouble eavesdropping when they're speaking quickly to each other. Luckily for me and my husband Spanish seems more common where we are and we're settling in happily. 

I'm sorry London, I'm not missing you yet. I have a supply of Yorkshire Tea in my cupboard and my parents are coming over to visit in 10 days. My plan is to spend the week trying to convince them to move over to the island. 

Failing that, I might have to chuck their passports in the sea.... ahem, I mean, recycling bin. I'll let you know how that goes down with them!


No comments: